Once, after new installation of Windows XP SP3, the Windows Update showed error 0x8024D001 when opened in the Internet Explorer. No Microsoft FixIt could fix it :-) nor installing latest Windows Update worked. However, later I found out that Windows Update as a service is working, only the user interface in Internet Explorer does not work. So I recommend doing this:
- Allow automatic updates if you didn't already (Security Center in Control Panel classic view).
wuauclt /detectnowon command line.
- Wait (possibly for few hours :-) ) until there is an icon in the tray telling you that there are updates for your computer.
- Install them.
- If reboot is required than reboot.
- If Windows Update page in Internet Explorer still does not work GOTO 2.
- Profit. Unless there are no more updates and it still does not work :-)
Note that when trying to fix it I already installed IE 8, MS FixIt 50777 and WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe. I don't think that it is needed, but if the procedure above does not work for you, you can try to install them first.